[rkward-devel] Upcoming release, call for testing RKWard 0.5.7

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Oct 9 12:18:34 UTC 2011

hi,

am Sonntag 09 Oktober 2011 (13:41) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Sunday 09 October 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > we could change the name of the eventual meta file perhaps, like into
> > "index.pluginmap", to make its purpose more obvious. maybe even i won't
> > forget about it the next time, then...
>
> or, perhaps we could reverse the convention. E.g. all .pluginmaps would be
> included by default, except for those with names starting with "_" or ".".
> That would still allwo plugin authors to "hide" some .pluginmaps, without
> the  need to bundle all "official" plugins in a single map.

it would definitely have the same effect. i'd still prefer it the other way
round, because it's more consistent with the way RKWard handles its own
pluginmap collection already, so you don't have to learn something new when
you want to work on plugins in the official release (e.g. integrate yours into
it).

also, i'd find it quite intuitive if the main file was called
"index.pluginmap" (or maybe "all.pluginmap") consequently, like, say,
webservers look for "index.html" and don't deliver all HTML files they find in
a folder. or, if i saw a folder with several files and one being named
"index", i'd immediately have an idea how they are related. i'm not so sure
what i'd think of files with strange looking names ;-)

> > in the long term, it would be nice to have this list completely in the
> > configuration dialog, and checkboxes next to them like in the package
> > management dialog.
>
> Yes, that's definitely the way to go. But of course it will take time to
> implement...

sure. i consider the things that are working now already a huge step forward!
i'm really happy with the design. don't forget to mention the feature in the
release notes ;-)

btw, i might get my hands on a Mac at the end of the month, not brand-new but
dedicated exclusively to porting RKWard. more on that when it actually
happend...