[rkward-devel] Backend forking for tikzDevice?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Oct 6 16:13:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday 06 October 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> hi,
>
> am Donnerstag 06 Oktober 2011 (10:49) schrieb Matthieu Stigler:
> > I just saw in recent versions the "backend has forked " message, but
> > this happens even if no special parallel taks is launched but witha
>
> > single code:
> i experienced the same thing yesterday, the fork-message appeared when i
> was simply building packages (and i don't recall having parallel tasks in
> roxyPackage).

As it turns out, forking is also used whenever
   system (..., intern=TRUE)
is called. Unfortunately, I cannot see a way to differentiate this (non-
problematic) case from the more tricky case of forking in order to really have
two parallel R processes. So I have removed the warning (but a debug message
is logged). Let's hope that the message was somewhat overcautious in the first
place, and no ill side-effects occur.