[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 23 18:42:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 23 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> first of all, there are some outstanding path issues. "make install" will
> create a directory
>   <inst_dir>/lib/kde4/libexec/
> including the file "rkward.backend" and another directory
>   <inst_dir>/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.frontend.app/Contents/MacOS/
> including the files "rkward.frontend" and "rkward.frontend.shell".
>
> looking at the MacPorts installation, i assume this should probably end up
> in /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/MacOS/
> when there's a real portfile for RKWard. however, <inst_dir>/bin/rkward
> (which should also be present in the just mentioned MacOS/ directory) will
> not launch without a symlink of "rkward.frontend" to
>   <inst_dir>/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.frontend
> so that probably needs some adjustment in the build scripts, right?

yes, probably. I guess the first step is to check how other KDE apps install
themselves. E.g. where does kate get installed, in particular, where does the
binary end up, and where do the .rc-files end up (on Linux that's something
like /usr/share/kde4/apps/kate/ with at least "kateui.rc" in it).

Next find out how to adjust RKWard to do it similarly. Note: We install the
actual binaries to ${LIBEXEC_INSTALL_DIR} for aesthetic reasons (to hide them
from the PATH, really). It may be easier to use the standard install location
on Mac, instead, which is probably ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR} (or check the kate cmake
files).

> then, when RKWard starts, i get the famous "no plugins found" message,
> which is probably just another path problem.

It might well be the same root cause as the following problems, though. Do you
also see the message "RKWard either could not find its resource files at all, or
only an old version of those files"?

> when i click "ok", the
> expected startup dialog asks if i want to start with an empty table. the
> rest of RKWard is visible in the background, but as soon as i close the
> dialog, everything vanishes into thin air.

You mean, while the startup dialog is visible, the application in the
background looks alright (including menu), but then it gets crippled? Do you
still have a main window with the usual regions in it? Any window at all?

> RKWard doesn't really crash,
> but all i get is one menu called "rkward.frontend" where basically all i
> can do is quit the program.

A screenshot might help. Meanwhile, my first guess is that it is also a path
problem. Try setting the KDEDIRS-variable to something appropriate.

I may also help to take a look at RKWard's log files rkward.frontend.XXXXXX and
rkward.rbackend.XXXXXX, somewhere in the temporary directory (/tmp?).