[rkward-devel] idea: code readability

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Nov 7 14:41:37 UTC 2011

hi,

Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2011, 18:00:57 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Tuesday 18 October 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > it's probably tough to implement, but could we somehow have a switch to
> > make the prining section in the code window disappear, or folded in, or
> > at least change the syntax highlighting significantly?

> 1) For some plugins, the printout() section _is_ the essence of the code.
> Notably most plots. For other plugins, it is not always easy to decide,
> what is or isn't the "relevant" code. E.g. coercing data into a suitable
> format.

ok, so this would have to be configurable for each individual plugin to be an
enhancement, not a loss of features. plugin authors could then decide what
they want to be shown by default.

some less intrusive changes could probably be done immediately:

- RKWard should completely skip all empty JS functions (that is, not print "##
Foo" then, since there is no foo to come)

- i'd prefer the code always to be shown from its top, not its end. the need
to scroll up is a bit counterintuitive

- not completely sure about this one, but i could do without seeing the
"local({<code>})" in the code window, just the "<code>" would be fine

perhaps this is already enough?

> 2) ATM, users can select all, copy, and paste the code to the R console (or
> a script), to achieve exactly the same result as pressing "Submit". If
> some parts of the code are hidden, this would not longer work. So we
> should probably offer an alternative, here. (This applies to the "make it
> disappear" variant, only, of course).

by disappearance i only meant like "invisible". the most preferable option for
this would be the code folding feature of kate, which still enables you to
copy & paste all of the code, even if currently you don't see it. can the
default folding be defined, e.g. by KateCodeFoldingTree::applyFoldingState()
or so?

> 3) I'm not sure what the GUI switch to toggle this should look like.
> Suggestions?

this could then also be handled by kate, with its fold symbols.

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf