[rkward-devel] icon soup

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jun 28 10:06:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Monday 27 June 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > Good question. While rk.set.output.html.file() exists, so far, the
> > general assumption in RKWard is that there is _one_ output file, and the
> > user will rarely switch to a different file.
>
> personally, i sometimes think it would be nice to have one file per
> analysis or "project", or workspace... in general it would better fit my
> view on workflows. because when i start RKWard, i usually want to work on
> something explicitly, and since i often have several projects in parallel,
> the one output file for all becomes increasingly difficult to read over
> time.

yes, good point. Propertly supporting more than one output file is a long-
standing item on the TODO list, but I never got around to implement more than
just rk.set.output.html.file().

I guess, having one output file per workspace would be a good default behavior
(but of course, users should also be able to start new output files, manually,
easily).

Besides, each output file should get a separate subdirectory, esp. to keep plot
files organized, better.

> in the meantime, i began to think of something new which i'd find cool for
> the results. well, it's three things:
>
> a) possibility of some form of a table of contents (like named anchors in
> the HTML), e.g. for longer analysis results, and a "top" link at the end
> of each "subresult". could be implemented as two functions like
> rk.insert.TOC() and rk.insert.toplink() and then be used in plugins. the
> "top" link would only jump back to the beginning of the plugin results it
> belongs to. this would make it easier to navigate through results.
>
> b) a link to copy only the portion of results it belongs to to the
> clipboard (full HTML)
>
> c) a "delete" link to remove the portion of results it belongs to from the
> results file
>
> as for b) and c), i can't think of a way to do this in plain HTML, and i
> have never tried anything like c) before. i think b) could somehow be
> possible with <span> and some javascript, where "copy to clipboard" might
> be the tricky part.
>
> let me know if you think any of this is worth a shot. then, when i have
> some time, i could try to do some proof-of-concepts there.

Absolutely. Each of these features would be good to have. Some comments:
a) Plugin output is expected to start with a call to rk.header(level=1). And
it is guaranteed to ends with .rk.make.hr(). So, probably, it's enough to make
these smarter, and we don't need any additional functions (although
.rk.make.hr() should probably be renamed).
Regarding the TOC, perhaps this should be written to a separate HTML file, and
be displayed in a frame?

b) and c) probably cannot be done in plain HTML, indeed. Rather this should
probably be implemented in C++, as a context menu. Having proper <span>s with
unique identifiers in the HTML would be a helpful starting point, though.