[rkward-devel] system() and exported paths

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Jun 11 17:08:18 UTC 2011

hi,

am Freitag 10 Juni 2011 (13:57) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> After some testing on my machine, it looks like:
> - Modifications in .bashrc do not take effect in rkward when launched from
> the  appliations menu
> - Modifications in .bash_profile do take effect (after logging out / in).
>
> I'm not sure, whether or not this is expected behavior, but if it is a
> bug,  then that bug is not specific to RKWard, at least. In any case I
> would suspect that any other GUI application launched from the menu will
> behave the same.
>
> Does anybody have more insight on this?

i think i remember some of this, because some time ago (probably years now) i
once had a hard time finding out where to set environment variables so that
KDE would reliably recognize them. from what i remember listing them in
/etc/enviroment was the safest method, although this will set the variables
system-wide (and it's only read, not executed, i.e. it's not a script).

you should try exporting variables in ~/.xsessionrc for a more local approach.
~/.profile might also work, but it will be ignored by bash unter certain
circumstances (e.g. an existing ~/.bash_profile, unless you include it like ".
~/.profile" in there).

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf