[rkward-devel] RKWard and compiz?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jun 11 09:33:23 UTC 2011

Hi all!

I have recently received a report that RKWard's graphics windows do not work
at all, when used with some versions of compiz. The reporter has opened a bug
report on this, here:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/793089

In short, if you try to plot anything using RKWard 0.5.6 under compiz, the
graphics window closes immediately after it was created.

Unfortunately, it seems the maintainers of the compiz package are not able to
keep up with the bug reports at the moment. I find that worrysome, especially,
since, as far as I am aware, compiz is the default window manager in Ubuntu
"Unity". Thus, I would like to find out more about how wide-spread the problem
is, and if possible, narrow it down some more.

Thus, particularly if you are running a recent Ubuntu, could you try the
following:
- Install RKWard 0.5.6, if you don't have it, yet
(https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/rkward-stable).
- Install compiz, and start it (as far as I can see, you can simply run
"compiz" on a command line, and it will replace your window manager).
- Launch RKWard and try to create any plot on-screen.
- If you have that option, try a few variants (inside / outside a "Unity"
session), etc.

Then post your testing results, including version number of compiz, and any
other detail that might be relevant, to this list, and / or to the above bug
report.

Thanks!