[rkward-devel] First release candidate of RKWard 0.5.4 / SVN open for new features

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Feb 16 11:22:11 UTC 2011

hi,

am Montag 14 Februar 2011 (16:49) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> A number of steps of the initialization sequence would have to be repeated,
> and figuring out, just what should be done again, what needs to be updated,
> and what should remain untouched is not entirely trivial.

i see. i don't know too much about the internal processes, but maybe some kind
of journal that is kept up-to-date would be a way?

> I'm rather thinking about working towards lessening the pain of restarting
> RKWard as a whole. I.e. most importantly, making more aspects of the
> session/"workplace" restorable (including window placement, etc.; I guess
> the  lack of this is what makes restarting RKWard feel so cumbersome?).

sure, that would be absolutely helpful. if this is much easier to get to work
i can live with that. just restarting the backend would look a tiny bit more
"elegant" to me (like restarting networking devices without rebooting the OS);
fwiw, i for one can't really remember any case where i felt the need to
restart RKWard, apart from loading a changed package. but both approaches
would ease the pain considerably ;-)

> Of course I do see the merit of a separate backend-restart-feature, and so
> you  could add this to our feature request tracker, if you like. But it's
> unlikely that I will dig into this, any time soon.

ok, it's not too critical either, of course.

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf