[rkward-devel] three enhancemens

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 7 20:13:20 UTC 2011

hi,

i want to share three issues ;-) firstly, regarding package management:

if you configure more than one package repo and fetched the package lists, the
display of available packages is confusing, at least to me... the first sort
rule is the repos, only then packages are ordered alphabetically. i can't see
the benefit of considering the repos here at all and would rather have all
packages ordered by alphabet, because otherwise it's really hard to find a
certain package by name, even if you know its repo origin. the same, but to a
lesser extend, goes for case sensitivity, which could be dropped as well for
the listing order.

secondly, toolbar location:

everytime i have, say, a script open for editing and want to open a data.frame
from the workspace browser, the moment i click something in the browser
window, one row of toolbar elements disappears and causes the lower elements
all to move up. that way, a supposedly chosen object in the workspace moves
out of focus, which is very irritating. it feels like the object is jumping
away... i'd suggest to not remove the superfluous toolbar row, but just gray
it out (and cange contents only if the editor element changes, too) or to fill
it with some placeholder.

and last but not least, factor to string conversion, which actually seems to
be more like a bug (might be limited to SVN?) -- well, try this in RKWards
console:

> some.data <- data.frame(a=c("a","b","c","d"))
> some.data
1 a
2 b
3 c
4 d
> some.data$a
[1] a b c d
Levels: a b c d

so "a" was converted to a factor. then open "some.data" in the editor
component and change the type of column "a" from "factor" to "strings". now
look at the object in the R console:

> some.data
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
> some.data$a
[1] "1" "2" "3" "4"
attr(,"levels")
[1] "a" "b" "c" "d"
attr(,".rk.invalid.fields")
list()

this is not really what i expect of the conversion to "string". i was first
surprised that the editor still shows factor levels, and even though type says
"string" you cannot remove those levels safely. in fact, this doesn't work in
RKWard either:

> some.data <- data.frame(a=c("a","b","c","d"), stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
> some.data
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
> some.data$a
[1] "1" "2" "3" "4"

whereas a plain R session behaves like this:

> some.data <- data.frame(a=c("a","b","c","d"), stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
> some.data
1 a
2 b
3 c
4 d
> some.data$a
[1] "a" "b" "c" "d"

one way to get the same in RKWard is to use I():

> some.data <- data.frame(a=I(c("a","b","c","d")))
> some.data
1 a
2 b
3 c
4 d
> some.data$a

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf