[rkward-devel] correlation plugin [was: another mac issue]

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Dec 22 19:42:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 22 December 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2011 10:53:18 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > Perhaps it would make sense to split up the plugin after all?
>
> that was actually my first idea, but then i thought it's perhaps a bit
> confusing to find what you want if there's still a "correlation matrix"
> plugin (as long as it's not labelled "(except polyserial)", but that would
> be odd ;-)).

not sure, whether that would really be a problem, as "polyserial" would be
fairly visible in the "Correlation"-menu. Add cross-links on the plugin
help pages, and I think we should be fine.

> then, if we were to split things, i think it would be much clearer to offer
> product-moment vs. ranks, but that wouldn't change these dialog issues at
> all.

True. Of course we could also split into three categories:
- Product-moment
- All ranks
- Mixed interval / ordinal data (polyserial)

The first two would look fairly similar, of course.

> in the current plugin, an alternative could be to check
> the number of levels (after as.factor()) and consider only variables that
> remain below a sane threshold. that number could be made configurable in a
> spinbox. how about that?

Well, that would be an interesting alternative. But I would think that two
separate varslots are still the safest, and clearest option, here. So, IMO
that would make sense as an addition, but not as a replacement.

Either way, that means one or more additional UI-elements, and potentially
additonal R code for the polyserial correlation. Add to that, the output
format is not ideally suited for polyserial. The more I think about it, the
more I believe polyserial should go into a separate plugin.