[rkward-devel] another mac issue

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Dec 21 11:34:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday 20 December 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> on a mac you press alt+5/alt+6 to write square brackets, alt+7 for the pipe
> symbol and alt+8/alt+9 for curly brackets. this interferes with RKWard's
> shortcuts, e.g., for toggling the R console, so effectively you cannot type
> these characters. we need to change the default shortcuts at least for mac
> versions.

oh, how cruel is that!

> might be worth a thought to do the change on all systems for consistency,
> though. maybe by simply adding ctrl to the toggle switches (e.g.,
> ctrl+alt+5)?

Hm, neither option sounds too appealing to me. Having different (default)
shortcuts across systems is not nice, although in this case, at least it would
mean changing shortcuts at only one point in the code. Using Ctrl+Alt+#
everywhere looks rather cumbersome to type. Now that we have Ctrl+Tab window
switching, these shortcuts may not be quite as important, but e.g. focusing
the R Console window is still something that some users might do rather
frequently. So - if possible, these shortcuts should remain simple.

I don't know. Opinions?

> p.s.: i added polyserial and polychoric correlations to the correlation
> matrix plugin. but i was thinking it's probably better to make the radio
> buttons a dropdown menu now, and move it above the data selection on the
> first tab, like in the new t-test plugin?

I think there is a point for moving the method to the first tab, and yes, with
that many options, a dropdown menu is probably better. I don't think it should
go above the data selection in this case: The process of selecting data is not
affected by the selection, so I think the "natural" sequence is to select the
data, then an appropriate method, here, not the other way around.

BTW, it looks to me now, like we have a bug when excluding "whole cases".
Here, in the calculation of p-values, we still seem to use pairwise exclusion,
unconditionally (but fortunately, at least we print n, correctly). Should we
use
   data <- data[complete.cases (data)]
for "whole case" exclusion instead? That should also allow us to offer "whole
case" exclusion for polyserial and polychoric, too, right?

The usual minor nitpicks:
- Instead of
   else {
       t <- NULL
   }
and then
   if (length (t) > 0) ...
I suggest using
   else {
      next
   }
- Here, and elsewhere I noted you tend to add empty else-clauses ("else {}"),
sometimes. Do you feel that helps readability? Or is that just an artifact of
the rkwarddev-package?
- In the .xml, the properties polyser, polycho, and polycor are really
inverted. Either invert the logic, or change the names of the properties, to
avoid confusion.