[rkward-devel] [rkward-cvs] SF.net SVN: rkward:[4063] trunk/rkward/rkward/plugins/00saveload/import

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Dec 2 09:31:50 UTC 2011

Hi Stefan,

On Friday 02 December 2011, sjar at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> first working plugin of XLS/XLSX import for RKWard

nice! I did not test on an actual xls file, yet. But some first comment below:

> + has a rather slow import speed (somewhat CPU hungry): XLS -> perl script
> -> read.x -> data.frame #e.g., reading 3000 lines and 256 columns took
> 100% CPU usage, circa 4 min and 350 mb on my machine (2x Intel Atom N270 @
> clocked at [ 1333.000 MHz ]) # therefore no multiple sheet import is/will
> be implemented

Wow, that really is slow. A warning for large data sets would be nice, indeed.

> + find a way to make the Perl path user definable (i.e. if it is located on
> bizarre places) and as such persistent (@ Thomas hope you know what I
> mean)

I see what you mean, but I'm not sure, how to address this best, yet. I've
added a feature request for the time being:
   https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3448066&group_id=50231&atid=459010
If you have further ideas on this, perhaps add them there.

> + test on MS Windows

Just a thought: On Windows, there is package xlsReadWrite, which might be less
problematic than perl on that platform. Unfortunately, it has a rather
different function signature for read.xls(), however, so it may not be feasible
to support both in one plugin.

Some small suggestions:

I would suggest to move the "sheet" option directly below the file option, and
to remove the separate <frame> around it. It's pretty much part of the
definition of what should be imported, IMO.

For "skip", a default value of 0, instead of -1 could be used to indicate "no
skipping". Perhaps "fill" should default to checked for Excel files?
"stripwhite" should be relabeled to "Strip white space", not "values", IMO.