[rkward-devel] rkward configure packages -> added interface for new.packages()

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Aug 27 11:50:41 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 17 August 2011, Mischa Vreeburg wrote:
> I'd like to send an update of rkward. I've added to the configure packages
> interface a new tab ( install new) which is basically the same as the
> install tab except that it only shows packages that haven't been installed
> yet.
> Hope you will use this.

many thanks for your contribution!

In principle this is a very useful addition. However, rather than adding yet
another tab, I think this functionality should be merged into the "Install"
tab (in fact, I think the "Update" tab should be merged into this, as well).
For this, I would suggest to split the tree of packages into three subsections
"Installed packages", "Updateable packages", and "New packages". This can be
done by adding these categories as top level QTreeWidgetItems, and making all
other items children of the appropriate category items.

Would you like to give that a try?

(While at it, one more idea would be to change the interface, somewhat, by
allowing the user to check, instead of select, the packages to
install/update).

Also, note that no additional cache for new pacakges should be necessary.
Rather, you can pass the cache of available packages to new.packages(), in
order to avoid a new download:
  new.packages(..., available= .rk.cached.available.packages())
See also the current .rk.get.old.packages().