[rkward-devel] a new approach to external plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Aug 27 10:54:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 12 August 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> i tried to make the XML paste function rather generic, although this is
> just a first round... but with some tweaking we could later re-use it,
> e.g., to write helpful functions like
>
>  rk.create.tabbook(tabs=2, labels=c("Data", "Options"))
>
> should this go into another package (rkwardplugdev?) or something already
> present?

I'm not sure, how far we will go, here. If you are going to add a whole bunch
more functions along those lines, then, yes, these should go to a dedicated
package.

For the moment, however, I see the most convincing use-case for a single
function
  rk.create.plugin.skeleton()
(of which rk.write.about()) is the most complex part. (And possibly, later, an
additional function which will update the meta information in an existing
rkward plugin pack/package).
As long as that is all we offer, it can reasonably be included in the rkward
package, IMO.

The helper functions (pasteXMLTag(), etc.) should probably be moved into
rk.write.about() as local functions. Of course, I wouldn't mind depending on
your XiMpLe package, for this purpose, once that is stable enough and on CRAN.