[rkward-devel] a new approach to external plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Aug 11 15:58:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 11 August 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> yes, for the writing part paste()ing it together should be easy. in case we
> want to go the other direction and read/parse the XML tree, reliably
> writing that ourselves would be a little more demanding.
>
> it would be helpful to have an update function as well, e.g. to change the
> date and version number without the need to manually edit this or that
> file. hm... could we maybe do both? then we could use the DCF for reading,
> it would be very easy to update single fields without the need to write
> special stuff, and to update the XML in one go with the DCF file we would
> just use the paste() method and replace the whole <about> section.

hm, I don't like the thought of having a duplicate structure, if we can
reasonably avoid it. If users start to mix editing by hand and editing via a
function, this will lead to inconsistencies.

No idea why there appear to be problems with the XML package on Windows, but
given that this is a rather often-used package, I would hope that these
problems are temporary, and the XML package can at least be used for non-
critical stuff. Or am I too optimistic, here?