[rkward-devel] a new approach to external plugins

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Aug 10 22:39:10 UTC 2011

hi,

am Mittwoch 10 August 2011 (19:05) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> all of that sounds quite straight-forward, and maybe you are right that
> this should eventually become the _only_ supported way to distribute
> add-on plugins. However, I am a bit reluctant to remove the GHNS-based
> approach just yet. Let's wait until we have all the bits in place, first.

sure, no need to push things. and it's not that i think the GHNS way is bad.
this is more like a by-product of me trying to get things in sync, it just
never occurred to me before that a plugin archive could also be an R package
at the same time.

> Well, we need this information in the frontend, not in R (at least as far
> as I can see). Therefore I think that keeping it in XML, and inside the
> pluginmap, is still preferable. Also, the XML in the .pluginmap is going
> to stay, so I think moving some bits to a (new) DCF based file would not
> really help to make things more simple.

that's a point. of course i didn't want to remove XML from the pluginmaps,
only the parts that were added because of the external plugins.

> You mention producing this info by a script, and I think it would really be
> a good idea to have something roughly equivalent to package.skeleton() for
> rkward plugins, indeed.

yes, that was exactly where i was going. it would also be nice to have a
simple dialog for that, where you could type in some basic info.

> However, I think producing this in XML format is not really _that_ much
> harder to implement.

let's say: it's absolutely possible. but it can't get much easier than giving
a data.frame to a function of R-base, and read it back the same way, i guess.

[i used some stuff from the XML package in one of my packages, which worked
great, but i had to throw it out again after there was no windows binary
available for some time, as it turned out after i received support inquiries
from people who couldn't update my package (it was a limited thing, i wrote my
own parser then to get rid of the dependency again). is there any XML support
in the base installation? if not, we'd have to write it ourselves, if we need
it, e.g. to create a package skeleton.]