[rkward-devel] Snapshot 7 sep: new plot window too big

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 14 14:30:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 September 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I see that Thomas has added a new settings in Configure > Onscreen
> device. Can you try the svn code if it helps?

I've also added a bit of logic that tries to detect when the window is too
large to fit on screen, and points to the settings in this case. This should be
available in the next daily builds. Perhaps you can give that a try, to see
whether the message is shown for you (and of course whether the new settings
work for you).

Making the windows smaller by default is not really a satisfying alternative.
Whether the window is too large or too small depends on a lot of factors,
including your screen resolution, what the X-server believes to be the
physical size of your display, and user settings such as the location and size
of your task bar, etc. So what's too large for you is just right for another,
and already too small for a third user. And the more we shrink the window by
default (at least in width), the more likely we are to run into problems with
some of the toolbar icons dropping off to the right, on other users screens.

> @ Thomas: the width and height are declared as 'int'. By choice? I
> don't mind it, I am just curious.

I simply didn't think about it. Changed in SVN.