[rkward-devel] Snapshot 7 sep: new plot window too big

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 9 13:25:01 UTC 2010

On Thursday 09 September 2010, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> please find in:
> /home/fao/Dropbox/Public/CaptureRkwardPlot.png

For reference for others, here's the public url:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6113358/CaptureRkwardPlot.png

Ok, so the plot window is too high to fit into the available space at all. If
the toolbar would be hidden, the window would probably fit, but of course
hiding the toolbar by default is not a good solution. As far as I can see, the
icons are as small as possible, already, and turning off the text labels would
save width, but not height.

> a print scrren of my problem. Basically, just plotting on rkward
> 0.4.5-test5 (KDE 4.4.2), I can/t see the xlab, nor am I able to resize
> the window,as the lower right part is not accessible. But maybe I am
> just stupid and there is an obvious way to solve this in general?

Well, the size of the plot window can be controlled in R. See ?x11. To use a
smaller size by default, you can run
   X11.options (width=5, height=5)
(width and height need to be specified in inches). I suppose we could offer a
graphical option for this in the settings, but it's a bit tricky, since it
will need some platform-specific code. So not before 0.5.4 is released, at
least.