[rkward-devel] Request for feedback on plot history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 7 14:23:43 UTC 2010

On Thursday 02 September 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> BTW, Thomas:
> When / if time permits, can you download R-2.11-1.tar.gz and browse through
>
> src/library/grDevices/src/devWindows.c
>
> Of particular interest is the string "xd->needsave" (and also the
> "displayList" member)
>
> Can you figure out the logic as to when they are setting needsave to
> TRUE (~2139)? Or the other way: the logic when they are setting
> needsave to FALSE (~1135,1177,1882,2137)
>
> Is there anything helpful for us? This is again not for this release
> but for the "bigger picture."

Well, the windows device keeps track of whether it needs to save the plot to
the history, and we could do the same, if we would write a custom graphics
device from scratch.

Unfortunately, short of that, I cannot find any way to hook into this on the C
level (and not on the R level, either). BTW: In the C code of the graphics
engnie, there is also newFrameConfirm(), and if we could insert code there,
somehow, that would be a reliable way to find out when a new plot is really
about to start. But alas, I'm afraid we can't.