[rkward-devel] Request for feedback on plot history

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 6 18:19:13 UTC 2010

Am Montag 06 September 2010, 19:39:11 schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Stefan Rödiger <stefan_roediger at gmx.de>
wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 31 August 2010, 03:43:57 schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Following this thread from Thomas:
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/rkward-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00872.
> >> htm l
> >>
> >> I would like to get some feedbacks, especially bugs.
> >
> > I used the latest SVN and found no bugs (I use the feature relative
> > intensively during my work).
>
> Thanks for the testing, Stefan. I'm re-writing the whole thing,
> hopefully, for the better. I'll make another call for testing once
> done...

No problem.

> > To my pleasant surprise it works (move through history, remove elements,
> > ...) without problems with "split.screen()" too. But trouble here is
> > that I find it
>
> You were working with version before the recent overhaul. But still,
> every plot () -type call after split.screen () should create a
> separate entry into history. Let us not worry about it, for now.

okay

> > hard to tell which window is "open" without calling Plot properties
> > manually (this issue would be addressed in future versions for
> > non-splitted windows if I understand you right). Either Plot properties
> > get a more prominent position (persistent status bar as you suggested)
> > or you could establish some kind of visual feedback (see below "Visual
> > feedback", or other active GUI elements of RKWard have a read square
> >  for example) in future version. But this has no priority in my opinion.
>
> I see that Thomas has already added a drop-down list. I haven't tested
> that version yet. That should help in the visual feedback.

Yes it does. I tested it. It works well. No crash and easy to use.

> > One thing I find a bit distracting is the output presented in the console
> > and command-log when a plot is invoked (example output attached). This
> > is an issue for me since I use to work on a 10 inch netbook from time to
> > time and therefore need to scroll more than I used to.
>
> Yeah, sorry for that, the output is mainly there for my debugging
> purpose. All the non-error outputs will be suppressed in the final
> version.

Cool. There were useful infromation. I learned from that debug info that the
size for plot history entries is to small for the boxplots I do. I increased
the size to 100 kb ... . Really nice.

> >> 1. Settings > Configure RKWard > Output has settings for the history
> >> length and size
> >
> > Found it finally after this hint. I which there was a help button as in
> > the plug-ins. Even in the current stat the plot history is quite
> > powerful and some easy accessible documentation -as users of plug-ins
> > might be used to- would be highly appreciated.
>
> Oh, yes! once the whole thing settles, I'll write the rkh file.

Great.

> > The dropdown menu ("What next? c") would be really helpful. Indicating
> > the number of the plot and the fist bit of the commands used would be
> > sufficient for me. Something like:
> >
> > 1       plot(rnorm(...
> > 2       hist(data...
>
> This will be impossible to get for standard graphics functions (in
> package:graphics). But already there for the lattice functions. I have
> some ideas, but I don't think it is going to work.

Okay, I saw the message from Thomas.

> >> What next?
> >> a. Fix the "Add to history" action in a more intuitive way
> >> b. If possible, replace the info button by a persistent status bar
> >
> > Definitely (see above). My suggestion would include some more feedback
> > within the plot region (red square, a plot number, ..., what ever) which
> > would also help when working with a splitted screen.
>
> Do we need a status bar even after the plot history drop down menu?

Well, there is the Plot information and the dropdown menu. I suppose that
usage of the dropdown menu instead of "Previours plot / Next plot" might be
preferred (at least this is how I will mainly use the interface). So basically
the answer would be no. However, on advantage is the status bar is that it is
always present providing the information without any user interaction. The
downside is that the interface may get cluttered. I like the lean interface.
KISS at it's best.
Maybe you keep it in mind as optional enhancement for future versions?

> >> c. A drop down menu for the history?
> >
> > Definitely (see above)
>
> Thomas has already added that.
>
> Thanks again.
> BTW, hold off you plot-history related testing for a week now. I'm
> re-writing the whole thing.

okay

> Regards,

Regards