[rkward-devel] Request for feedback on plot history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 6 11:10:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Monday 06 September 2010, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> The dropdown menu ("What next? c") would be really helpful. Indicating the
> number of the plot and the fist bit of the commands used would be
> sufficient for me. Something like:
>
> 1	plot(rnorm(...
> 2	hist(data...

I've added a drop-down menu (Prasenjit, I hope I did not get into your way
with this; the changes in public_graphics.R are fairly straightforward,
though). Of course for "normal" (non lattice) plots, showing the plot command
is probably impossible, technically.

This is still buggy when you are navigating from a yet unsaved plot to a
different position, when the history is already filled to the maximum length. It
should be possible to fix this, but since it probably needs to make some
assumptions about the internals of the implementation, I thought I rather wait
for the next version before bothering with this.

> But I wonder how do you deal with multiple opened windows? All have one
> history or each has an individual?

All windows share a single history, currently. This has some advantages (most
importantly, the plot history persists after closing the device windwow!), but
it's also the root cause of most of the headaches which Prasenjit and I have
been discussing the past few days.