[rkward-devel] Request for feedback on plot history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 1 20:31:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

great work, overall! This is pretty sophisticated stuff, and that also means
there's a lot of details to think about and test. I'm not sure I've seen
everything, but I don't want to let you wait much longer. So here are the
notes I have taken so far in no particular order.

I'll post again, if / when I find more.

--

Warning message:
In push.pop.and.record(which.pop = 1, deviceId = deviceId, this.plot.is.new =

Suggest to remove this one. After the limit is reached, you will see it for
every single plot, which is probably more annoying than helpful.

In contrast, the "larger than size limit" warning should only be triggered
once in a while, so I think it is good to keep it.

--

Is it really a good idea to synchronize the plot windows that show the same
history position? I.e. if two separate windows each show the first plot in

I could see the merit in both, but the current behavior was somewhat
surprising to me at first.

--

Should dev.set() always set newPlotExists for the respective device to true?
In case additions are made to that plot? E.g. produce a plot, add it to

--

Extracting the title / axis labels: Cool stuff! I no longer thought this was
possible at all. However, currently, the code bails out in case the title has

Probably makes more sense to add this info in a drop-down list of plots in the
history (your point c). For the plot that is currently shown, info on titles,
etc. is not really interesting. It is interesting for browsing the plots which
are *not* currently visible, however. I can try to add something, but I'm not
sure how soon.

Of course for lattice plots, the story may be different, as more info is
potentially available. But then - personally - I think it would probably be a
good idea to trim that down to some very basic information, too, which is
probably titles and axis labels, again?

Either way, we can leave this as is for the current release.

--

Toolbar is crowded. I'd suggest to remove first/last plot, remove plot, clear
history, and info buttons from the toolbar by default.

--

Could you check the code for parts which are no longer needed and remove
those? .verify.history.limits() appears to be one unused function.