[rkward-devel] altering rk.graph.on and rk.graph.off

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 1 16:21:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 31 August 2010, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> Am Dienstag 31 August 2010, 05:54:41 schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> > I am guessing it should be easy to do, without the syntax
> > highlighting. Looking at plugin/rkstandardcomponentgui.cpp, just
> > sending  "code_property->Preprocess () + code_property->calculate () +
> > code_property->printout ()" to .rk.cat.output () would do it. Of
> > course, a button on the GUI somewhere.
>
> go for it ;)
>
> > The button action will be more appropriate on the plugin dialog box
> > rather than on the screen device window. (All though, I have arguments
> > in favor of device window as well.)
>
> why not both (at least for testing)?

well, it will be a good deal more difficult to add in the screen device window,
since it is hard or even impossible to track which commands were used to
create that plot.

True, for a preview-window we could get that information from the plugin,
somehow, but in fact even a preview window could be modified from the command-
line, and we'd have no chance to track the code for those changes.

So I don't think that can be done in a reasonable way.

> > I'll refrain from tinkering with that part of the code! Let Thomas come
> > back.

I'm a bit reluctant for two reasons:

1) We should try to focus a bit on finishing and polishing all the new
features, in order to get ready for the next release. That's not to stop you
from implementing new features, but perhaps keep any non-trivial new features
as patches for a while, instead of committing to trunk (*).

2) This is not really limited to plots. Copying the R code to the output is
interesting for any plugin. And in fact this is not really limited to plugins,
either. On the users' list, Augustin Lobo asked for an option to carbon-copy R
commands from the console/script windows to the output. Therefore it may make
sense to implement this at a more central place. E.g. a global option / button
to turn transcription of R commands into the output window on / off. We may
need to toy with some ideas, here, but in any case I think this is probably
something for 0.5.5, rather than 0.5.4.

(*): Probably it makes sense to create a branch in SVN in a while, and then
trunk will be open to larger changes, again.