[rkward-devel] rkwardtests & docs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 31 10:38:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 30 October 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> did anyone yet have a look at the changes i did to the rkwardtests package
> and docs on plugin writing recently? i did most of that during longer
> train rides.

I have not read too closely (I'm currently mostly working on turning the
implementation of the R backend upside down in a separate branch in SVN), but
I did have a look at the SVN commit diffs, and that looks good to me.

There is a warning while installing the rkwardtests package:
** help
Warning: ./man/rktest.replaceRunAgainLink.Rd:20: unexpected '}'
Could you take a look at that?

> - rkwardtests:
> i made it use an enviroment called .rktest.tmp.storage in globalenv now,
> which should be created automatically if needed, as well as removed if
> empty. should this be moved some place else?

I don't think it matters too much, where this is placed. But since you're
asking: It is probably a good idea to (try to) keep the globalenv() as clean
as possible. So you could move that environment to the rkwardtests-
package/namespace itself. That could also simplify the code a tiny bit, as you
could create the environment unconditionally, once, and leave it in place,
even when it is empty.

> does it work without flaws
> for you?

I did not test the latest version, yet, but interim versions worked fine for
me. A few tests fail due to using internals of the old implementation, such as
misusing rktest-functions as "data" (the "package_skeleton"-test for example).
Perhaps you could take a look at those, too?

> i also took care of one TODO i found in the code comments -- if a
> test was skipped due to missing packages, the results should list only the
> *missing* libs now.

Great!

> - docs:
> there's a whole new chapter on external plugins now. i hope i got it all
> right. primarily i wonder whether the section on meta information (<about>)
> should either become a part of the ordinary plugin writing sections, or be
> linked to from there. none of the new tags are listed in the reference yet,
> though.

I am not sure what is the best way to structure this. But in fact, the section
on meta-information applies to ordinary plugins as well. Perhaps put it into
an independent section, and reference that from both the "external plugins"
and "ordinary plugins" sections.

I guess we should find one unique name for those downloadable archives of (one
or more) external plugins, and use that, consistently, across the
documentation, but also in the GUI. I suggest "plugin pack". Other
suggestions?