[rkward-devel] Downloadable plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 6 17:29:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 06 October 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> i've just commited the first steps towards a working R package. it doesn't
> really work yet, but it's close ;-) i've placed it under
> rkward/rbackend/rpackages/rkwardtests.

Alright. I've arranged for it to be installed with make install.

> i found roxygen to be pretty cool for documenting a package, keeping
> NAMESPACE up to date etc. unfortunately, you need it as a dependecy
> (though not loaded for a package). it could probably be stripped from the
> package afterwards.

Yes, this looks like a very nice way of creating documentation, indeed. But in
fact, we should not bring that dependency into the release (otherwise, the
rkwardtests-package will not even install, unless the user already has roxygen
installed).

What exactly do you need to do in order to generate the .Rd pages? Perhaps we
could come up with a nifty script that adds the roxygen-dependency, generates
the man pages, and removes the roxygen-dependency, again. We could then add
that to scripts/makedist.sh.

> for the package, i split the original framework R file into one long file
> with stuff that is used internally only (and not documented), and one R
> file for each class, method or function that needs to be exported. the
> latter already have basic documentation in roxygen style. perhaps you
> could check if i made the right decisions on that behalf so far.

I've only taken a cursory look, but seems good to me.

> i'm now
> working on a new function rktest.makeplugintests() which in the end should
> be about all that's needed to run the tests on a given test suite. that
> is, it's like the all_tests.R script turned into a function. i'd also like
> to move the function calls at the end of each test suite file inside that
> function, which would mean you only need to feed rktest.makeplugintests()
> with a test suite object or so.
>
> what do you think?

Yes, that makes sense. Some wishlist items:
- Add an "append"-parameter to rktest.makeplugintests(), to make it append to
an existing outfile (FALSE by default)
- Add an optional parameter to run only the specified tests (given by their id)
of a suite (would also have to be added to rktest.runRKTestSuite(), of
course). This would often come in handy during test development.