[rkward-devel] system calls with JS?

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Oct 1 13:12:54 UTC 2010

hi,

Am Donnerstag, 30. September 2010, 21:08:54 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> For downloadable plugins, I was thinking to use the "Get Hot New
> Stuff"-framework  (ghns.freedesktop.org). This is supported by kdelibs,
> and so adding this will not require too much work on the C++-side (I
> hope).

yes, i had a look and it seems to be surprisingly simple to include its basic
functionality (see below).

> However, I have not done much reading on this, and I don't know
> what the provider, data, and meta-files would look like, exactly, how the
> data should be packaged, etc. So - if you have some time, and you could
> try to find out about that, that would really be helpful.

if i'm right, then KHotNewStuff2 is the thing to have a closer look at:
 o http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/K_Hot_New_Stuff2

in theory, three steps are neccessary to get it to work:
 - ask newstuff.kde.org for a repository, see "GHNS repositories" at
    o http://newstuff.kde.org/development.php
   i'd volunteer for the repository administration stuff.

 - create a small rkward.knsrc file, e.g. with content like

   [KNewStuff2]
   ProvidersUrl=http://newstuff.kde.org/cgi-bin/hotstuff-provider?site=RKWard
   Uncompress=archive
   InstallPath=.rkward/plugins/

 - include KHotNewStuff2 invocation somewhere in the RKWard configuration
   dialog. some code hints can be found at the end of
    o http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/K_Hot_New_Stuff2

in the end this should open some "hot stuff" manager, show what's in the
repository and allow you to download/remove available plugins. archives would
get unpacked to $HOME/.rkward/plugins/. RKWard only has to make shure that new
.pluginmap files are automatically added to its configuration. [btw, if it's
not to big a deal to implement, i'd rather leave plugins packed in one archive
file.]

as soon as this works, the .pluginmap window is probably the place that would
profit the most from some changes. what i'd like to see there would be meta
information on all plugins, which could be stored in the .pluginmap file, e.g.

Active  Plugin                             Version
  [x]   t-test                             0.5.4
        Two sample t-test dialog
  [ ]   ANOVA                              0.1b
        Support for ANOVA
  [x]   IRT                                0.5.4
        Item response theory (Rasch model)

i haven't found out about the details of the actually downloaded packages yet,
but this is probably handled by the provider service anyway, so we wouldn't
have to worry. can wait until we have something to toy around with, i think.

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf