[rkward-devel] On windows binary

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Thu May 20 02:23:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 16 May 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
>> 1. An option for a "Home" directory on Windows would be preferable,
>> defaulting to  %USERPROFILE%. Otherwise rkward starts in ....\KDE\bin,
>> which for obvious reason is not good!
>>
>> The could be achieved as: if (grepl (pattern = "RKWard/KDE/bin$", x =
>> getwd())) setwd (Sys.getenv ("Home")) somewhere part of the startup?

Well, what if we could add the following to .First.lib () for rkward,
as an interim solution?

if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") setwd (Sys.getenv ("HOME"))

Sys.getenv () will work on any windows variant... And, I checked, it
works on XP, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2007 with native R (no
KDE). So, I think this is doable. Currently I've added that line
manually to the end of .First.lib () in
RKWard/R/library/rkward/R/rkward

If I add the following to Rprofile.site:
.First <- function () if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") setwd
(Sys.getenv ("HOME"))

Then, Rterm.exe honors it but RKWard does not.

>> 3. Is PHP still a requirement on Windows?
>
> No (unless you still have some self-made PHP-based plugins; all "official"
> plugins use JS, now). Is it still being mentioned at some places?

I see, so the PHP Backend option in settings is just a "safe-guard".

--
Prasenjit