[rkward-devel] On windows binary

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun May 16 10:38:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 16 May 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> 1. An option for a "Home" directory on Windows would be preferable,
> defaulting to  %USERPROFILE%. Otherwise rkward starts in ....\KDE\bin,
> which for obvious reason is not good!
>
> The could be achieved as: if (grepl (pattern = "RKWard/KDE/bin$", x =
> getwd())) setwd (Sys.getenv ("Home")) somewhere part of the startup?
>
> OR, as arguments to the batch file? (I have no idea of DOS scripting ;))

my main concern would be that we need to make sure that it really works on all
windows variants, so this would need good testing.

I guess the most elegant way may be to set the working directory in the
RKWard.lnk . I believe it's possible to use path-variables such as
%USERPROFILE%, there, but again, well have to test this.

(If we put it in the batch file, this means users cannot easily override this
behavior; if we use R code, we'd have to add extra platform-specific code to
rkward).

> 2. This concerns KDE, so not much we can do: The first instantiation
> of RKWard, on Win 7, asks for admin access to run
> update-mime-database.exe and kconf_update.exe. Answering "No" works,
> no apparent harms, yet.

Ok, I guess we should document this in the wiki.

> 3. Is PHP still a requirement on Windows?

No (unless you still have some self-made PHP-based plugins; all "official"
plugins use JS, now). Is it still being mentioned at some places?

> 4. As mentioned in an earlier thread: Some KDE process keep running
> after rkward is closed: dbus-daemon.exe, kioslave.exe, klauncher.exe.
> kded4.exe, kio_http_cache*, . Will it be a good idea to kill them (or
> provide an option to do so) while exiting from RKWard? I've created
> the following script: KDE_Cleanup.bat:
>
> @ECHO off
> taskkill /F /IM kio_http_cache*
> taskkill /F /IM klauncher.exe
> taskkill /F /IM dbus-daemon.exe
> taskkill /F /IM kded4.exe
>
> Could this be automatically run after rkward?
> It may not be the right thing to do ;) But we could provide this as
> part of the whole package.

The easy way to do this is
  kdeinit4 --terminate
however, it isn't safe to do this. This will also kill any other KDE
applications running for the same user.

It is also possible to query kdeinit4 for running apps (--list), so in theory
it should be possible to write a script that checks if anything of interest is
still running (i.e. other than the above help-applications), and only kills
those tasks, if they appear to be unused. On the other hand, the possibilities
of .bat-files are terribly limited, and I can't really think of a good way to
implement this, at the moment.

BTW, the KDE on windows-people are aware of the problem that KDE applications
can only run for a single user, ATM, and they have this on their TODO list
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=127358923403835&w=2). So, hopefully,
this will not be fixed, properly, sooner or later.