[rkward-devel] static windows binary

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 13 19:06:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 13 May 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> yes, that's much less than downloading all the KDE-base packages alone.
>  btw., does the installer have an unistall feature yet?

the (current) rkward installer? No, and it would be quite difficult to add one.
NSIS, which we use to create does not really understand the notion of
installing to two existing directories (KDE and R), instead of one novel
directory. This means it will not create an uninstaller automatically.

For the bundle? All you need to do is to remove the directory (and potentially
the .kde and .rkward-directories in "Application Data". Perhaps we could just
add a text file with these instructions.

> > http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/10927
>
> hm, can be stripped down to "go ask somebody else" -- that didn't really
>  help, did it?

Sigh. I asked again, and received an answer which I interpreted as "go ahead
and create a separate project"
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/10986). So I've done
that: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkwardextras/ . Oh, you'll find you and
Prasenjit are project admins, now, in both rkward, and rkwardextras. I hope
that's ok with you (otherwise, I believe it's possible to remove one's own
permissions / membership, so do as you see fit).

> in my understanding you don't have to actively *offer* the sources for GPL
> complience, but you must provide them to anyone who *asks* for it (see §3
>  b)). so in theory it should be sufficient to have a copy of the sources on
>  the shelf and say so, in case someone want's to get them from you and is
>  not happy with the identical copies on the KDE servers.

I read it similarily (though I'm not quite sure on the nature of the "written
offer"). But then I guess, if we need to keep the sources on shelf, just in
case, we might as well upload them to SF. I was considering, whether 3c would
allow us an elegant way out, but I could not find a "written offer" on either
the KDE or R binaries.

Well, I guess I'll better err on the safe side and gather the sources into a
second download. With a bit of luck, I'll get this done tomorrow, or at least
over the weekend.

Again, though, I'd appreciate it, if one or more people could volunteer to
help out with these releases in the future.