[rkward-devel] static windows binary

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat May 8 15:20:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 08 May 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I am just "thinking out loud" now: For windows split rkward into three
>  parts:
>
> 1. Core rkward which will have a special config file. The config file
> will provide the path to KDE, R folders. I think this is already in
> place.
> 2. Provide a zipped archive of essential KDE libraries and stick with
> this till the next releasable version of rkward. These KDE libs should
> be from the most stable version of KDE on windows (need not be
> latest).
> 3. Provide the latest R binary (preferably in a zipped form, not as an
> installer).

in essence, I agree, but as written in my other mail in this thread, I think
we should push this all the way, and provide a single self-extracting archive
for all three together. I think having to install all three is both the most
common use-case, and the one with the greatest potential to scare people away.

We'd still provide the current rkward installer as an alternative for people
wishing to use a different installation of KDE and/or R (all work for that is
already done, anyway).

Another alternative is to provide three zip-archives as you suggest, but
couple those in a single installer. That would perhaps be most elegant, but it
would probably also mean a considerable bit of work.