[rkward-devel] system calls with JS?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 11 09:50:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 10 March 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> yes and no: R can do system calls, and it actually does that later in my
> plugin. on the other hand, the previous PHP system call is used to check
>  paths to the needed executables, to then *generate* the R system calls
>  with the collected information (see below).

yes, understood. What I mean is, why not just generate the following R code
unconditionally (just a sketch):

# locate required tools
pdflatex.cmd <- Sys.which ("pdflatex")
pdftk.cmd <- Sys.which ("pdftk")
if ((pdflatex.cmd == "") | (pdftk.cmd == "")) stop ("Could not find all required
tools")

# set up temporary directory
dir <- tempfile ("klausuR")
if (!dir.create (dir, recursive=TRUE)) stop ("Could not create temporary dir")
on.exit (unlink (dir))

# ok, we're set to go
cmd <- paste (..., pdflatex.cmd, ..., pdftk.cmd, ...)
System (cmd)

I.e. simply move the logic into the generated R code.