[rkward-devel] paginate onscreen graphics device

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jun 29 06:58:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Monday 28 June 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I haven't tested the new code yet, but is there a 'catch-22' issue
> here? The dev.off () bug was solved by forcefully closing / killing
> the window and now the closing itself is mapped to dev.off ()?

well, there is a lot of indirection, but not a full circle, of course.
Basically the steps are:
1) Clicking the close-button (or Window->Close) keeps the window alive, but
calls dev.off(). This is mandatory, otherwise we wouldn't have a chance to
record the unsaved plot.
2) dev.off(), before calling the internal dev.off(), tells RKWard to close the
window.
3) At this point the window is closed immediately in the GUI thread.

> If you mean this line:
>
> current [[deviceId]] <<- current [[duplicateId]]
>
> then, the 'duplicateId' is needed because: when Device > Duplicate is
> called, I want to keep the the new window at the same history position
> as the old window. Moreover, the length increment happens only when a
> valid record () call is made; not necessarily when a device is added.

I see. So I'll just turn this into a bug-report, let you deal with it:
Create a few plots to have a plot history. Close all devices. Open a new
device. The device is now at the start of the history ("Next plot" is active),
not at the end ("Prev plot" is not active).

> > - Once the details of your code are sufficiently stable, it would be
> > good, if you could add one or more tests to rkward_application_tests.R.
> > Naturally, not all things can be tested from there, but you could add
> > some checks, whether all indices are correct after adding/removing
> > devices, etc.
>
> Let me bring the code to a more "stable" and acceptable state first!

Yes, of course. I just wanted to write it down while it's on my mind.