[rkward-devel] data.frame-related plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jun 20 09:46:57 UTC 2010

HI,

On Saturday 19 June 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> Now, (i) can be broken down into three completely separate plugins:
> (i.1) Context menu for an open data.frame
> (i.2) Context menu for selected object from the workspace browser (w/o
> opening it in data.frame editor)
> (i.3) Edit menu.
>
> i.1: No extra work is needed to select any object, it is obvious.
> There should not be any option to select any other object. Just
> include (ii) and continue
> i.2: Again, just include (ii) and continue
> i.3: In this case, add a selection box listing only data.frames and
> allow one of them to be selected. Below the selection box, include
> (ii) and continue

thanks for the list, this helps thinking about the issue. Actually the problem
I had in mind was the sub-cases of i.3:
i.3a - The Edit menu while a data.frame is being edited.
i.3b - The Edit menu while no data.frame is currently "active".

But probably the answer is indeed to treat these almost the same - as you
described for i.3. Both will show a selection box, but in i.3a the current
data.frame will be pre-selected. I think I like that solution.

> All this was easy ;) The more difficult part, in my opinion, is to
> decide what to put in (ii) and how to structure it. But that, I guess,
> can be improved incrementally. We could start with just sort
> ("order"), add column, and add row options.... and build from there.
> As things get complicated, (ii) itself can be split into different
> sub-pseudo-plugins, ....

Yes, the real work starts after this. But now I think I have a good idea on
how to get started.