[rkward-devel] Simple questions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Jul 9 19:00:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Friday 09 July 2010, Horace Tso wrote:
> 1. I see the console is set to display a fixed number of columns,
> regardless of the size of the Rkward window. I wonder if I could change
> that. I've looked into Configure... --> Console and found nothing there
> for this purpose.

An option for output width (equivalent to
	option (width=...)
is available in Settings->Configure RKWard->R-Backend. You're probably right
that it would make sense to move this and a few others options to the console
page of the settings.

> 2. I often want to copy the output of a command from the console and paste
> it onto the script. In the console CRTL-c doesn't work as copy. It takes a
> right click on the mouse to bring up the "cleaned copy" command. Is there
> a way to assign a shortcut key to this and other commands. I understand
> the underlying editor is actually Kate and it may not offer much
> flexibility in this regard.

Yes. The easiest way (not available with all, but with most window managers)
is to bring up the context menu, then click the right mouse button over "copy
cleaned"->Configure Shortcut.

You can also use Settings->Configure Shortcuts. The catch is that the console
needs to have focus when you do so, as only the shortcuts of the active window
can be configured.

Occasionally there are issues with disappearing shortcuts, and be warned: In
0.5.3 there were even crashes when configuring shortcuts under some
circumstances (fixed in our SVN version).

> 3. Is it possible to create multiple graphic windows and direct a plot
> command to a specific one?

You mean the on-screen plot windows? Simply fire up a new one using
   x11()
on the console. Use
   dev.set()
to activate a specific one (or use Device->Make active) before sending plot
commands.

> 4. How does one interrupt an R process? In Windows, it's ESC but it doesn't
> seem to work in Rkward.

This is really not user-friendly, ATM. Use the "Pending Jobs" tool window.
Select the commands to cancel (usually the topmost one) and press "Cancel
selected commands". Improving this is definitely on my TODO list...

For commands that you have entered in the console, Ctrl+C will work, too.