[rkward-devel] 100% CPU usage after using multicore functions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Jan 15 13:57:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 13 January 2010, Michel Lang wrote:
> I've just discovered that RKWard and the multicore-package
> (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/multicore/index.html) don't
> work well together: After using mclapply(), RKWard remains using 100%
> CPU on one core.

yes, unfortunately, the forking screws up RKWard. We already have a bug report
about this:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2866476&group_id=50231&atid=459007
. To fix this we will need to re-design the R backend to run in a separate
process. This will happen, eventually, as it will hopefully fix a number of
further obscure bugs besides this one (esp. those with loading some Java or
Gtk packages), but this is not trivial, and unlikely to happen, soon.

Workaround to allow using RKWard during development of the code:
   options("mc.cores"=1)