[rkward-devel] JSS FINAL

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Mon Dec 27 16:38:39 UTC 2010

On Monday 27 December 2010 04:09:46 Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Stefan Rödiger <stefan_roediger at gmx.de>
wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 December 2010 21:06:34 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I'll take another look tomorrow or the day after that. Some comments:

> I think we are good. I haven't checked the bib file, though.

This would be a good.

> >> I like the style of the non-commented version, but it's not accurate:
> >> The example session come after the GUI elements, not after the
> >> technical details. And of course it's the technical details, which will
> >> be compared, where appropriate.
> >
> > Okay, I changed/corrected that and took the non-commented version
> > (regarding the background.tex).
>
> The latest version (r3327) reads fine.

Okay

> > I need a vote for the section "Help system" too.
>
> Well, to me the earlier version seems a bit disconnected. Let others vote
> ;)

granted, :)

> I think the figures are fine in terms of their content. But they don't
> seem "clear" especially the fonts.. I think nothing can be done to
> improve them either - all screen captures will result in this type of
> quality :(

There is a bit I can do. I did so for some figures. Basically it means to
adjust the resolution and not the size of image, which leads to at least a
better quality on a printout. ... But indeed this is not much.

> Yes, one thing has been confusing me: when we refer to a menu item or
> a GUI button, our draft is using double quites (``...''). Is that OK?
> For example "``Submit'' button" vs "Submit button" or "``Help'' menu"
> vs. "Help menu"?

Matter of taste in my opinion. Keeping it without quotes means less trouble
and I can read it better. But let's stick with one. "``Help'' menu" would be
my favourite.

> >> Yes, but it does not appear to be clear-cut. Citing from jss.dtx:
> >> % This should be used for typesetting the names of programming
> >> % languages, e.g., |\proglang{Java}|, |\proglang{C++}| or
> >> |\proglang{R}|. % This applies also to programmable environments which
> >> also have a GUI % like |\proglang{SAS}|, |\proglang{Stata}| or
> >> |\proglang{S-PLUS}|.
> >>
> >> Programmable environments could certainly be stretched to include KDE,
> >> but also Red-R, and RKWard. Still I guess it's best to restrict it as
> >> you suggest.
> >
> > Okay, we keep it without anything. We keep \proglang{KDE} but stick with
> > Red-R and RKWard.

> >> We certainly shouldn't emphasise all technical terms like TDI. We might
> >> emphasise RKWard (see above), but I'd leave it as is, for now. If the
> >> editors want that, it will be easy to revise.
> >
> > Same opinion here. I just had the impression that some co-authors prefer
> > it emphasised.

> >> I don't plan to add anything.
> >
> > Okay. Same for me.
>
> I'll take a look at them tonight.

okay

Another point. We all consent to use AE not BE, right? I checked and all is
correct from what I saw.