[rkward-devel] JSS paper, round 2

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 19:34:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>> On first impression, this seems like a long draft. I have not seen any
>> of the JSS papers. Any idea, how long these papers are typically?
>
> Our draft is quite long, and I wouldn't be too surprised, if reviewers will
> tell us to reduce this a bit. However, looking at a couple of the recent
> papers (http://www.jstatsoft.org/v37) we don't seem to be completely off
> limits. Of course the question of what exactly the editors expect an article
> for the R GUIs special issue to look like is a good question.

Well, reading their call for papers:
http://www.jstatsoft.org/misc/CFP-JSS_SV-GUIs_in_R.pdf
I think our article would go in "R GUI example (desktop)"

The tough call would be deal with the figures: It should be readable
on both screen and paper, plus how many, etc...

>> Do they allow color figures? Some journals ask the authors to pay for them.
>
> For all I know, there is no printed version of the JSS at all, so this should
> not be an issue. Other articles do have color figures.
>
>> Do they allow footnotes?
>
> I can't find any statement on footnotes, but other articles do have footnotes.

I see. So, that makes life easier ;)

>> I am not sure how Stefan is planning, but we may need to create a tex
>> version once we reach a stable enough draft to get a better idea of
>> the length and format.
>
> Well, the deadline for submission is December, 31st. So I guess we should aim
> to have a stable draft (i.e. complete content) next weekend, and start to
> focus on the conversion to tex and the fine points (spelling, language, style,
> etc.) directly after. Stefan, do you have a tentative schedule?

Yes, I should be able to spend some time of such edits as well.

--
Prasenjit