[rkward-devel] Request for feedback on new plugin features, and plot history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Aug 3 11:55:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

I had meant to write this mail much earlier, but never found the time: The
current development version has some new features which we need feedback on.
You can get it from SVN as usual, but if you're running Ubuntu or openSUSE,
you can also find compiled packages at https://launchpad.net/~rkward-
devel/+archive/rkward-devel and
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Atfry-suse%3Arkward-
devel , respectively.

--

The first area that needs some testing and feeback is the plot history feature
which Prasenjit has added to the graphics windows. Basically, please create a

--

The second area that I would like to pick your brains about is some new plugin
features. Perhaps you recall this short thread on how to deal with plugins
>Configure RKWard->Plugins.

You should see a new top-level menu called "Data". In this, there are two
variants of a "Sort data" plugin, and you will want to try each
a) while you are editing a data.frame, and the data.frame is the active window
and
b) while any other window is active.
As you will see, in case b), both plugins will seem identical. In case a), the
active data.frame is preselected in both plugins, but the first variant still
allows to select a different data.frame to sort.

Key questions on that:
- Which variant of the plugin is preferrable?
- Do you think it is intuitively clear, when a data.frame is "active"?
Suggestions for improving this?

You may also want to look at the "Generate random data" plugin. Here, when a
data.frame is active, the generated data will be added to that data.frame by
default. When no data.frame is active, the generated data will be added to the
.GlobalEnv by default. In both cases, the <saveobject>-element at the bottom
allows to select a different place to save to (which is new, as well).

Finally, plugin developers will be interested in taking a look at the
technical side of these plugins. The code for them can to be found in
plugins/data. You will see note two things:
- The active object (currently data.frames, only) is available from a property
called "current_object". If no object is active, this is an empty string.
- There is a <script>-block, which allows scripting of the dialog itself,
instead of the generated code. Here, it is mainly used to check whether or not
the selected object is a data.frame. I hope you can figure out the meaning of
the code in the <script>-block yourself, and if you can't, that probably means
I need to change things.

One further plugin to show some more possibilities of plugin scripting is in
Analysis/QtScript Test 1 (code is in plugins/tests). I suppose this will be
particularly interesting to Meik, who has been asking for similar
functionality in the past. Please let me know what you think (since this is
totally undocumented ATM, you may want to take a look at
scriptbackends/rkcompnentscripting.js as a reference of implemented
functionality).

Well, take your time, we don't need to rush decisions on any of this, but it
would be cool, if you could take a look at these new features, and share your
thoughts.