[rkward-devel] Second call for testing: RKWard 0.5.3-pre2

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 27 10:26:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Monday 26 April 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> am Montag 26 April 2010 (15:36) schrieb meik michalke:
> > if we can build for CRAN R as well as for the official installation
>
> this sounds promising:
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading#Using%20packages%20from%
> 20other%20distributions
>
> but honestly, i don't fully get it yet ;-)

as far as I understand, they're trying to say that in many cases you can
simply download the sources package from - say - Debian sid, upload it to the
hardy section of your PPA, and see if it builds.

In the case of R it seems to be not quite so easy, as the package apparently
needs a few adjustments between sid, and the older Ubuntus. What we could do
is to download the backports from CRAN, and upload them to a PPA on launchpad.
Of course we'd need to automate that, and esp. we'd need to make sure the PPA
stays in sync with CRAN. That's why it would seem much easier (at least from
our point of view), if the backporters could offer their packages on launchpad,
as well. Let's see, what they think of that suggestion.