[rkward-devel] import Stata file via url

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Sat Sep 26 13:08:11 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009, Michael Ash wrote:
> However, the "File name" box in import_stata will not accept URL's.  I
> do not know very much about KDE or xml, but I suspect that the
> following line in import_stata.xml (borrowed from import_spss.xml)
> specifies that only files, not URL's, can be specified:
>
> <browser type="file" id="file" label="File name"/>
>
> Is there a straightforward way to permit files or URL's to be specified?

this wasn't possible until half an hour ago. In the current SVN version, you
can specify
  <browser type="file" allow_urls="true" id="file" label="File name"/>

This did not work for me. Try, for example,
http://courses.umass.edu/econ753/berndt/stata/chap5-cps.dta

while
mydata <- read.dta
("http://courses.umass.edu/econ753/berndt/stata/chap5-cps.dta")