[rkward-devel] rkward import module for Stata

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Sep 25 13:43:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Friday 25 September 2009, Michael Ash wrote:
> However, the "File name" box in import_stata will not accept URL's.  I
> do not know very much about KDE or xml, but I suspect that the
> following line in import_stata.xml (borrowed from import_spss.xml)
> specifies that only files, not URL's, can be specified:
>
> <browser type="file" id="file" label="File name"/>
>
> Is there a straightforward way to permit files or URL's to be specified?

this wasn't possible until half an hour ago. In the current SVN version, you
can specify
   <browser type="file" allow_urls="true" id="file" label="File name"/>
Unfortunately, supporting this in the "Import Data" dialog (as opposed to
Import format->Import Stata) is not that easy.

Since many (most?) R functions do not support urls, or not all protocols that
KDE can handle, perhaps we could make an effort to support this in a more
generic way. I.e. whenever a non-local file is selected, RKWard could download
it to a temporary location and then pass that to R. I've put this on the TODO
list.