[rkward-devel] Some usability suggestions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Sep 11 14:55:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 10 September 2009, Germán Márquez Mejía wrote:
> El Mié 09 Sep 2009 06:30:22 Thomas Friedrichsmeier escribió:
> > Good catch. The "real" issue is that the whole mechanism of detecting new
> > output is somewhat broken. But this is a neat solution for the most
> > important symptom.
>
> I agree :)
>
> I kind of realised that was so, but I got lost in the code after some steps
> in search of the real issue.

if you're interested: The "real" issue is in rbackend/rthread.cpp, function
checkNotifyOutputTouched(). We detect modifications simply by comparing the
timestamp, but that is only accurate to one second (on most systems). So, if
two commands produce output inside the same second (quite likely in this
particular case), then only the first triggers a refresh of the output window.

Well, in the mid-term, we should have support for having multiple output
windows, and hence for changing output files. We'll need something different,
then, anyway, so it probably isn't worth the effort to fix "properly", right
now.

Since there were no objections so far, I think it's ok to change the default
for the "Code"-button. So go ahead and commit that yourself, if you like.