[rkward-devel] Some usability suggestions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 9 11:30:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 09 September 2009, Germán Márquez Mejía wrote:
> 1. Given that we now have a useful "Run again" link in the HTML output, I
> wondered whether the plugin window remaining open after clicking OK is
> still necessary since there's no more risk of losing your settings (as long
> as you don't flush the output).

you're right about this.

Still, in *some* situations I find it useful to keep the dialog open. E.g. when
running a test with a bunch of objects one after another. So instead of
closing the dialog unconditionally, I've added a checkbox "Auto close"
(checked by default) in SVN. I'm not quite sure whether this is a good idea or
just adds confusion. Perhaps you could give it a try and tell me, what you
think.

> The patch I used also fixes a bug that - for me - prevented the "Run again"
> link to show up underneath a graphical output (I had to refresh it in order
> to see it).

Good catch. The "real" issue is that the whole mechanism of detecting new
output is somewhat broken. But this is a neat solution for the most important
symptom.

> 2. The second suggestion is not to show the code by default. This is more
> personal taste, but I prefer clicking to see the code when I really want
> to. Besides, the default height of the code widget (40 pixels) looks so
> narrow with my resolution (1280x800) that I must expand it to be able to
> see some of the lines (of course it's always possible to configure that
> value in the settings).

I guess, I'm indifferent on this. What does everybody else think? Objections,
approvals?