[rkward-devel] Call for testing: RKWard 0.5.2-pre1 / Release schedule

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 7 17:06:25 UTC 2009

Hi!

R 2.10.0 (scheduled to be released October, 26) will have a new dynamic help
system, and unfortunately the current released versions of RKWard do no handle
that well. Therefore I'd like to provide a new official release of RKWard in
time.

I've drafted a tentative timeline at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Release_Schedule
. The targetted release date is October 20. That's fairly soon, but I feel the
sources are in relatively good shape. Of course we still need a lot of
testing, and that's the main point of this mail:

--- Testing ---

Please download the 0.5.2-pre1 release (also linked to from
http://p.sf.net/rkward/download) and give it a try. If you have an alpha
version of R 2.10.0 installed, or are willing to install one, testing with
that will be particularily valuable. Please try to browse a few help pages,
and produce some output. Also, if compiling from sources, please run
   make plugintests
after make install, and report any failed tests.

Please try to provide feedback by October 14, i.e. a week from now.

--- Translators ---

.po and .pot files are located in the po-subdirectory, as usual. Please provide
your updates by October 14.

--- Plugin authors ---

If you plan to add features to existing plugins before the release, please
post to the mailing list, first. @Michael: I did not forget about you, and will
provide feedback as soon as I can. I'm confident that the Stata-import plugin
will be part of the official release. Please remember to prepare a small sample
file that we can add to the sources for automated testing.

You may be wondering what's up with the promised new scripting solution. Well,
the first part of it is ready for evaluation/discussion/feedback, and I'll
write a separate mail on this in the coming days. However, this will not be
finished in time for the release, so plugins continue to be PHP-based in RKWard
0.5.2.

--- Closing words ---

Remeber: There's always many ways you can help, with or without programming
skills. Testing is one important way to contribute, but for instance our wiki
/ website is always in need of love as well. If you have time to spare, your
help will be very welcome.

Thanks!