[rkward-devel] Provide a UI for CRAN mirrors

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Nov 26 13:56:19 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 12:05:35 schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> This has been a very long standing itch of mine - to get rid of the
> ugly (and very minimally informative) Tcl/Tk box to choose the CRAN
> mirrors (one that pops up during install.packages or update.packages
> or ...). Basically, to set options(repos=c(CRAN=....)) with an actual
> url instead of '@CRAN@'.

i like the idea :-) theoretically you could replace @CRAN@ with a mirror of
your choice, but a combobox to me seems more flexible and intuitive (however,
consequently it should fully replace the @CRAN@ entry).

> Every time rkward is started, the repos url is set to "" (empty). Once
> you go to Settings > R-packages  and set a 'CRAN download mirror' and
> click apply, only then the repos url is set properly.

i can confirm that -- i removed @CRAN@ from the list and replaced it with a
mirror, restartet rkward, and when trying to fetch the package list i get:

 Fehler in if (names(x)[i] != "") { : Argument hat Länge 0
 Calls: .rk.get.old.packages -> rk.make.repos.string

so this is not caused by your code, but happens in rkward 0.5.2 whenever the
tcl/tk dialog doesn't show up. the repositories are configured in
.kde/share/config/rkwardrc:

 [R Settings]
 Repositories=http://your.favourite-CRAN-mirror.org

but it seems they are not interpreted when rkward starts?

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf