[rkward-devel] R engine does not initialize

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:00:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Angelo Santana <angelo at dma.ulpgc.es> wrote:
> Hello,
> I use linux ubuntu 9.04. I have just updated my R installation to
> version 1.10, and also Rkward to version 0.5.1-2jaunty0. When starting
> Rkward it stops an shows a window with the following text:
>
> Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a
> 'character'
> *** caught segfault ***
> address (nil), cause 'unknown'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
>
> When exit, it shows me another window with the text:
>

> "El motor R se ha apagado con el estado: 0
>
> Se apagará de inmediato. Esto significa que no podrá usar ninguna otra
> función que dependa del motor R. Es decir, no podrá hacer casi nada, ni
> siquiera guardar el espacio de trabajo (aunque, si tiene suerte, R ya lo
> ha hecho). Podrá, eso sí, guardar los archivos de comandos abiertos, la
> salida, o copiar datos de los editores abiertos. Después de eso salga de
> RKWard.
>
> Dado que esto no debería ocurrir nunca, se le ruega que nos escriba un
> correo a rkward-devel at lists.sourceforge.net y nos diga qué estaba
> intentando hacer cuando esto ocurrió. ¡Lo sentimos!"
>
> I can not do anything with Rkward after that. Is there any solution? I
> need to work with R every day and Rkward is the perfect tool for that.

I don't have much idea about the error. Hopefully someone else can
shed more light. I'll just give some generic info. The "ideal" way to
have the latest R and a working rkward is to install R from:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/  (and not form ubuntu's repo)

Then, install the corresponding "rkward-cran" from Meik's repo. See here.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts#KDE4_versions:

If you happen to have done something else, can you clean (purge) both
R and rkward and try the above steps?
--
Prasenjit