[rkward-devel] R engine does not initialize in Rkward 5.2 with R 2.10

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 23 16:54:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Monday 23 November 2009, Angelo Santana wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm a user of linux-ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty).
> I have just updated R to version 2.10.0 and Rkward to version 5.2. When
> I start Rkward, I receive the following message:

> -- Error: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a
>  'character'
>
>   *** caught segfault ***
> address (nil). cause 'unknown'

the most likely cause is that the version of rkward you are running was
compiled with a wrong version of R. IIRC, this particular problem would turn
up when using RKWard compiled with R <= 2.8.x with R >= 2.9.x.

If you are using Meik's repositories, note that you need to use the rkward-
cran variant, when using the CRAN version of R, i.e.
    deb http://deb.reaktanz.de/rkward-cran jaunty main
(see
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts#KDE4_versions:)

If you compiled from source, note that you should *first* upgrade R, *then*
compile rkward.

If neither of this is the cause, please check whether your previous
installation of rkward might still installed / earlier in your path. Try
whether starting rkward as
     /usr/bin/rkward
makes any difference.

Let us know, whether any of this helps.