[rkward-devel] RKWard Wiki (permissions)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed May 6 10:20:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Has anybody tried to log in and edit, yet? If not, could you give that a
> try? If there are any problems, let me know, perhaps I need to set some
> permissions, somehow.

Ouch. It turns out, I have to assign each user to the "editor" group
separately. Before you're in the "editor" group, you cannot edit any pages.
Requests to allow more liberal settings in the wiki are pending at
sourceforge, but for now, this is the way it is.

Before I can give users the editor permission, they need to be registered with
the wiki first. As far as I understand, to achieve that you need to do one
successful login in the wiki, first. (Ilias and Mancho, since you managed to
add your usernames somehow, you should be able to provide corrected
instructions, if needed).

I.e. the sequence is:
1. Get a sourceforge account.
2. Log in to the wiki.
3. Contact one of the wiki admins.
4. Be added to the "editor" group.
5. Start editing pages.

In order to make steps 3/4 as easy as possible, I think we should also assign
the "Admin"-permissions in the wiki quite liberally (i.e. to most people that
we've been in contact with before), so requests to get edit-rights in the
wiki can be handled as quickly as possible.

This situation really is ... unfortunate. I wish I had know that earlier. On
the other hand, probably it would not really have changed things, given our
old wiki was totally broken, of late.