[rkward-devel] How to deal with binary packages?

Pierre-Yves pingou at pingoured.fr
Fri May 1 06:14:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 23:40 +0200, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've wanted to put this to discussion for quite some time, but never got
> around to writing this mail. Here it comes:
>
> By now a nice number of people is producing binary packages of the rkward
> releases for various distributions and architectures. That is a wonderful
> thing, and I really appreciate this work. At the same time I don't quite know
> what to do with those packages. Several of you have offered to put them up on
> the web somewhere, or suggested for me to put them in the download list, or
> in general asked me, where to announce these packages. I'm afraid, I've
> probably left a good number of such mails unanswered - simply because I
> didn't really know myself.

I think the easier is to support the package accepted in each distro and
to put forward which distro already integrates rkward.

> So how to handle this?
> 1) Upload all contributed packages to the sourceforge download page. In case
> this is your favorite, there's a catch, though: I'd like to delegate most of
> the work to another person. Making file-releases is a cumbersome process,
> already, and I don't want it to take up yet more of my time. Volunteers?
>
> 1b) Upload to a regular directory on an HTTP-server (like
> http://rkward.sf.net/temp/). Possibly slightly easier to handle, but still
> I'd like to delegate that task.
>
> 2) Have most packages hosted somewhere else, and simply keep a list of links
> to those packages. Somewhat similar to
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts
> (or
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts
> in the new wiki). However, we'd probably re-organize this page a bit, and try
> to make it more prominent (by advertising it as the primary download page).
>
> 3) Something else?

I would go for the solution 2 as well, putting forward not the binary
itself but rather the way to install it for this distro (maybe still
keeping a link to download the package from the official repository)

= Binaries and Build Scripts =
There is the list of distributions that support and package rkward.
== Debian ==
To install
apt-get install rkward
or