[rkward-devel] Getting ready to release RKWard 0.5.0c - Call for testing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 25 20:48:24 UTC 2009

Hi all,

if a reminder was needed, today my mailbox had two further hints to finally
get going with a new release.

Firstly, two people pointed out that we had an embarassing crash-problem with
the upcoming R 2.9. I hope to have fixed that.

Secondly, the German c't magazine is asking for permission to include RKWard
on a covermount DVD-ROM. They say RKWard has been pre-selected to be included
in this collection of free and shareware programs. Not sure
what "pre-selected" means, whether all they still need is our consent (which
I strongly intend to give), or whether they will do some further
post-selecting after that. However, c't really is a pretty renowned IT
magazine in Germany, and looking for developers to help in our project, a
paragraph or two in c't might be just the sort of publicity we need to get
forward. --- Well, giving them explicit permission to distribute under the
GPL is a no-brainer. The other part is getting RKWard into a presentable
state. c't is asking for feedback until April 1st. So:

I've created a new test version 0.5.0c-test1, available in source and
i386 .deb from http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/ (or from SVN). Note that
I'll only take care of a KDE 4 release, right now. A KDE 3 release of all our
fixes will follow (0.4.9b), but that's not my priority.

If you've been following SVN, recently, you've seen all but the most recent
changes, already. So although releasing before April 1st could probably best
be called "sudden", I think we really are in pretty good shape to rush it
this much. Still I would like to ask you to download 0.5.0c-test1 and

1. test everything you care about once more
	- Especially, if you have a chance to test on Ubuntu, and with combinations
of KDE and R other than KDE 4.2.1 and R 2.9, that would be great.
2. remind me of important issues that still need fixing.

Two things that are not yet included in the test1 release:
1. The German translation update provided by Jannis. I'll wait until Stefan
has given it a look (go ahead and commit to SVN, when ready).
2. The item response theory plugins by Meik. Are those fit to be included in
the "official" pluginmap? In whole, or only partially?

I would very much like to rush the release, in order to meet the April 1st
deadline. Since my own time schedule is hairy as well, that means I need all
substantial feedback before Monday morning. So, please, if you can find the
time, take a look until then.